Relaxation can help relieve pain. When we are tense, our muscles compress our joints, causing pain. Relaxing helps reverse these effects. It is a skill that needs to be practiced, so finding out about a local relaxation class may help. There are a number of different methods – you need to find what works for you. Here are a few basic steps.
• Pick a quiet place and time. You will need at least 10 minutes to yourself.
• Sit or lie in a comfortable position with your head supported and your eyes closed.
• Take a deep breath then breathe out slowly. Feel your stomach move in and out with each slow, deep breath.
• Continue to breathe deeply and slowly, focusing on your breathing.
• Try thinking of words such as peace or calm.
• Imagine a pleasant scene.
• Use relaxation CDs/downloads